Master's degree programs
If you are a UZH student in a Bachelor's program and want to continue studying in a Master's program, you must apply for the program during the next online semester enrollment. Do not use the online application.
- with a Bachelor's degree from another university
- with a Bachelor's degree from the University of Zurich but without current student status at the UZH
You must submit your application either by filling in the online application form (in German only) or the application form in English if you have a Bachelor's degree from an other university or if you have taken time off after earning a Bachelor's degree at the University of Zurich.
Admission to a Master’s program generally requires a Bachelor’s degree with a total of 180 ECTS points from a university recognized by the University of Zurich.
In the same field of study
Students with a Bachelor's degree from a Swiss university can enroll directly in a Master's program in the same field of study without having to fulfill any further conditions, although certain restrictions may apply.
In another field of study
Acceptance to a Master's program in another field of study may be made conditional on acquiring additional knowledge and skills.
The following types of admission to a Master's program are given:
- Direct admission, with no restrictions or further conditions.
- Admission with restrictions, if you are required to fulfill certain conditions while working toward your Master's degree.
- Conditional admission, if you are required to fulfill certain conditions before you begin your Master’s course. You have a total of six semesters to complete the requirements. It is important to note that during this period you may only earn the required ECTS points and you are not allowed to acquire points toward a degree.
- Admission with conditions and restrictions: The requirements above apply.
- Placement in a Bachelor's program: In the case that your degree is not equivalent to a Bachelor's degree at the University of Zurich (180 ECTS points) or the conditions and restrictions to admission make up more than 60 ECTS points, you will be placed in a Bachelor's program in your field of study. Your previously earned credits will be transferred to the Bachelor's course. After earning your degree, you can enter directly into a Master's program at the University of Zurich.
- Denial of Admission: If the level of your education in general does not meet the standards at the University of Zurich, admission will not be granted.
Faculty of Arts: Master's program with minor subjects
Master’s programs in the Faculty of Arts require one or two minor subjects, depending on the field of study. If you have a Bachelor’s degree but did not have a minor subject, you will normally have to acquire the necessary qualifications in retrospect.
In the case of second minors (15 points), you can make up for up to 30 ECTS points in the form of restrictions, i.e. during the regular course of study.
In the case of first minors, you can make up for up to 60 ECTS points, generally in the form of conditions, i.e. before you can begin your regular course of study.