What is Text Technologies?
Text technology is a branch of computational linguistics dedicated to the processing of written language. This includes among others the following fields of application:
- Machine Translation
- Machine Learning for NLP (Natural Language Processing)
- Dialogue systems (chatbots)
- Media content analysis (Media Contant Analysis)
- Information extraction (text mining)
- Sentiment Analysis (Opinion Mining)
- Automatic text simplification and text summary
- Text technology for historical texts (Digital Humanities)
Computational Linguistics is a relatively young academic discipline at the intersection of linguistics and computer science. It investigates
- how human language is used as a means of transmitting, storing and processing information, and
- how these processes can be modelled on a computer and made available to specific applications.
This is done primarily out of theoretical interest.
If the focus is on the development of tools that can be employed in various phases of automatic natural language processing, we usually speak of "language technology".