Under to the Regulations on the Presentation of Annual and Semester Awards, the University honors students for outstanding academic work. The papers that are submitted must have been accepted in the semester or academic year in which the proposal is made.
Annual awards are presented in April at the Dies academicus, while the winners of semester awards are recognized in November at the "Tag der Lehre" (Day of Excellence in Teaching).
The following applies to proposals for annual awards submitted by teaching staff:
- In each academic year, the faculties are entitled to put forward one paper or dissertation for recognition with an annual award of CHF 5,000.
- Proposals for the award must be accompanied by the paper in question and submitted to the responsible dean's office by 31 October.
The following applies to proposals for semester awards submitted by teaching staff:
- Each semester, one award of CHF 600 is made for every 1,000 students. The available awards are distributed across the individual faculties in accordance with the number of students, the latter being rounded up to the nearest thousand for each faculty.
- The paper should be submitted to the responsible dean's office along with a recommendation and details permitting the author to be identified without confusion (first name, surname, student address and student ID number).
- Submission deadlines: 31 January for the Fall Semester and 31 July for the Spring Semester.