THE Ranking 2019: UZH Back Among Best 100 Universities of the World
The University of Zurich ranks 90th in the latest Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings. UZH was able to gain ground in several areas. The ranking is based on a survey of highly respected academics who, on invitation by THE, are asked to identify the world's best universities.
This year's ranking sees UZH leap 46 places to 90th (previous year: 136th). With ETH Zurich and EPFL Lausanne coming in first and second among Swiss universities, the University of Zurich ranks third in Switzerland ahead of the universities of Basel, Bern and Geneva.
The performance indicators of the annual Times Higher Education World University Ranking are grouped into five areas: Teaching (the learning environment), research (volume, income and reputation), citations (research influence), international outlook (staff, students and research) and industry income (knowledge transfer).
Biggest improvement in research and citations
The University of Zurich achieved higher scores than in the previous year in four of the five areas. The most pronounced improvement came in the areas of research and citations, which indicate papers published per scholar, funding available for research as well as citation rates.
Another positive development came in the teaching area, with an increased doctorate-to-bachelor's student ratio as well as a higher ratio of doctorates to academic staff; the reputation survey among students also saw a slight increase.
This year's THE rankings also saw UZH improve in the area of industry income (funds from industry that are available to academic staff), while the international outlook category remained at a very high level. UZH has become even more international in the past year, but other universities improved even more in this area.
Reasons for the changes
The exact reasons for UZH's improved ranking can only be guessed, since it is difficult to see through how the indicators are determined in the THE rankings. The data used for this year's ranking was more detailed as in previous years, for example including a break-down of full-time equivalents per subject.
- UZH in the QS by Subject Ranking 2023
- UZH in THE Subject Ranking 2023
- UZH in the ARWU Ranking 2021
- UZH in the THE Subject Ranking 2021
- THE Ranking 2021: UZH in 73rd Position
- Academic Ranking of World Universities 2020: UZH Moves Up to 56th Place
- Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2020
- QS World University Rankings 2021: UZH Jumps to 69th Place
- QS by Subject 2020: Top Marks for UZH
- THE Ranking by Subject 2020
- Best Global Universities Ranking: UZH Climbs to 58th Place
- THE-Ranking 2020: UZH Keeps Top Ranking
- Academic Ranking of World Universities 2019: UZH in 61st Place
- Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2019
- QS World University Rankings 2020: UZH Climbs to 76th Place
- U-Multirank Ranking 2019: Top Rankings for UZH
- Leiden Ranking 2019: UZH in 13th Position
- US News Global Universities Ranking 2019
- THE Ranking by Subject 2019: UZH with best ranking ever in three disciplines
- Academic Ranking of World Universities 2018: UZH climbs to 54th Place
- QS World University Rankings 2019: Student-Instructor Ratio Continues to Be Good
- US News Global Universities Ranking 2018
- THE World University Rankings 2017-2018
- THE World Reputation Rankings 2017: UZH in the Top 100
- QS World University Rankings 2018
- UZH in the 2017 Leiden Ranking
- QS by Subject 2017: UZH Achieves Better Results in All Subjects
- UZH among the 15 Most International Universities
- US News Global Universities Ranking 2017
- THE Rankings 2016
- QS World University Rankings 2016
- Shanghai Ranking 2016: UZH Maintains Its 54th Overall Ranking
- U-Multirank 2016: UZH improved in 13 indicators
- QS World University Rankings by Subject 2016
- US News Global Universities Ranking 2016
- THE Ranking 2015 – Stable Position
- QS Rankings 2015: UZH Ranked 85th under New Methodology
- Shanghai Ranking 2015: UZH Moves Up Two More Places
- QS Ranking by Subject 2015
- THE Ranking 2014: UZH Makes Up Lost Ground
- QS Ranking 2014: UZH Makes Major Jump Forward
- Shanghai Ranking 2014: UZH Moves Forward Four Places
- Förderungsprofessuren SNF
- Interview zum Hochschulranking
- Online Information on Rankings