AHV: Old-Age and Survivors’ Insurance

All Swiss and foreign students with legal residence in Switzerland must pay contributions.

The Canton of Zurich's office for social insurance, SVA, determines the rates for social insurance. You also pay the sum directly to the SVA office. To determine whether students are obliged to contribute, the UZH transfers the following data to SVA Zürich: Name, birth date, address, insurance number, civil status, nationality.
In the first half of the year, all students receive an E-Mail with information on their insurance obligation. Students are required to fill out an online form.

If students are employed and pay AHV via their employer, the amount will be reduced. Employed students must enclose their annual pay statement when returning the SVA form.

Please read the information about AHV contributions and the  information from SVA (in German).

Important note: With every year you don’t pay into the fund, you risk a major reduction in your state retirement pension - an even greater problem in the event of disability. When you leave UZH, we recommend that you contact the Canton of Zurich's SVA office if you are neither working nor studying at another Swiss higher education institution.