Table of contents
- Contact for Questions Related to Completing Master's Studies
- Master’s Thesis
- Requirements for Completing Master's Studies
- Registering for Graduation for Your Master's Degree
- Important Information on Completing your Master's Studies
- Dispatch of Final Records
- Master's Graduation Ceremony
- Registering for Graduation with Additional Major (Discontinued) or Incoming Mobility
Contact for Questions Related to Completing Master's Studies
- You agree on a topic with a supervisor in good time before taking on the Master’s thesis. In this context you should also consult the module description for your study program and make sure all the requirements for booking are met. The supervision of a Master’s thesis is governed by §32 of the program regulations.
- You must book your Master’s thesis on the online booking system during the regular module booking period.
- Once the module booking period has elapsed you will be e-mailed a request (to your UZH address) to log in to our website to specify the provisional title of your thesis and the name of your supervisor.
- You must submit your Master’s thesis to your supervisor on 1 December (Fall Semester) or 1 June (Spring Semester) at the latest. If you’re unable to meet the deadline for submitting your Master’s thesis, you will be deemed to have failed the module.
- Once the submission deadline has elapsed you will be e-mailed a request (to your UZH address) to log into our website to upload your thesis and specify the definitive title of your Master's thesis.
- If, before the deadline, an event as per §24 of the framework ordinance occurs preventing you from submitting your thesis, you can apply either for withdrawal from the assessment as per §25 para. 1 of the framework ordinance or for the deadline for submission of the assessment to be extended as per §25 para. 2 of the framework ordinance.
- A deadline extension can be granted for only a short time. In the event of further extensions on compelling grounds, the module will be canceled and you will have to book it again specifying a new topic.
- Print copies of Master’s theses must no longer be submitted to the Office of Student Affairs. They are no longer retained at Zentralbibliothek Zurich.
Requirements for Completing Master's Studies
- When you enroll, make sure that your educational goal (major and minor study programs) is entered correctly. The legal basis for this is the admission regulations.
- Check to make sure you can earn all the required ECTS credits for each study program at the relevant level (Master’s) by the end of the semester on which you will complete your studies.
- You’ll find information on transferring ECTS credits to your degree in the program regulation for the study programs.
Registering for Graduation for Your Master's Degree
Please register for graduation with your Master’s in the online summary of credits during the following periods:
- Spring Semester: between 15 and 30 March
- Fall Semester: between 15 and 30 October
The deadlines are legally binding and must be adhered to. No exceptions will be granted.
How to Register
- In the summary of credits (online summary of credits in your browser, not available under “My results” on the student portal) click on the button “Zur Anmeldung Studienabschluss”. On the page that now opens, you will see the degree program you are enrolled in indicated at the top. You can check this information in the student portal under “My Enrollment and Personal Data”. Then click on the link “Anmeldung zum Studienabschluss”. This will automatically register you for all study programs in which you are enrolled (major and minor). If you are doing a faculty-external minor study program, an additional registration form may be required (see below).
- Immediately after online registration you will receive an automatically generated confirmation by e-mail to your UZH address that your registration has been noted in the system.
- If you have problems registering for graduation, notify the Office of Student Affairs immediately, and within five working days at the latest, by e-mailing email@example.com. The e-mail must contain a screenshot with the error message, and it must also be visible where and when you were logged in. We will not consider queries and inquiries received later than this.
Faculty-external Minor Study Programs
Please note the additional terms for registration to complete your faculty-external minor study program:
- Minor study program at the Faculty of Science: Once the registration deadline has elapsed you will receive by e-mail a registration form for your minor study program; you must complete this form, sign it, and return it to the address specified in the e-mail.
- Minor study program at the Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Informatics: No additional registration is required for the minor study program. For information please visit the website of the Dean's Office of the Faculty of Business, Economics and Informatics.
- Minor study program at the Faculty of Law: Once the registration deadline has elapsed you will receive by e-mail a registration form for your minor study program; you must complete this form, sign it, and return it to the address specified in the e-mail. For information please visit the website of the Dean's Office of the Faculty of Law.
- Minor study program at the Faculty of Theology: No additional registration is required for the minor study program.
University-external Minor Study Program/Outgoing Mobility
If you do a major study program at UZH and minor study programs of up to 60 ECTS credits at another university (outgoing mobility), the other university must confirm completion for the credit to be transferred to the UZH degree with an overall grade (and if applicable an academic record or transcript of records). Additional information is available under Mobility.
Important Information on Completing your Master's Studies
- The matriculation requirement also applies in your semester of graduation. You must be enrolled for the (major/minor) study program in which you intend to graduate.
- All correspondence will run via your personal UZH e-mail address (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please make sure that your UZH e-mail account is running properly.
- Make sure that you are matriculated under your correct name and postal address. You can change your personal details any time via the online services up to but not later than the last day of your semester of graduation. Your name can no longer be changed on your final records once they have been sent.
- Registering for graduation does not mean you have withdrawn from the university. You must do this separately via the students’ portal. Please contact the Student Administration Office if you have questions on enrollment.
Rejection of Graduation
Graduation is not possible if you are not able to complete one or more academic achievements for your degree within the specified period but have already registered to graduate for your Master’s. The Office of Student Affairs will send you a message notifying you that you have been deregistered from graduation. You must register again for the next graduation date within the regular registration period.
Dispatch of Final Records
The Office of Student Affairs will send the final records by calendar week 12 at the latest for graduation in the Fall Semester and by calendar week 38 at the latest for graduation in the Spring Semester; they will be sent by registered mail to the address recorded in the system as of 31 July or 31 January as applicable). Please make any changes of address in good time (by 31 January in Fall and 31 July in Spring Semester) via online services.
For organizational reasons the Office of Student Affairs will not issue any provisional confirmations of graduation before the specified dates of dispatch. If you intend to apply to another university, please e-mail email@example.com.
Please also note the following:
- In calendar week 12 or 38 (as applicable) the Office of Student Affairs will send an e-mail to your UZH e-mail address (firstname.lastname@example.org) informing you that your final records are being sent by mail. Prior confirmations that you have completed your Master's studies will not be issued.
- Final records returned by the post office must be picked up from Student Services during counter opening hours from two weeks after the date of dispatch by you in person, or by a person with official ID power of attorney bearing your original signature. In each case the person picking up the final records must produce official ID (ID card or passport). Returned final records cannot be forwarded under any circumstances.
For questions related to final records, please write to email@example.com.
Master's Graduation Ceremony
The dates of the next Master’s graduation ceremonies are as follows:
- Spring Semester 2021: digital ceremony on Friday, 5 November 2021 at 6.00 pm
- Fall Semester 2021: Friday, 25 March 2022
For questions related to the Master’s graduation ceremony, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registering for Graduation with Additional Major (Discontinued) or Incoming Mobility
If you are doing an additional major or are enrolled at another Swiss university and are doing only one minor study program at UZH (mobility) and wish to graduate, please email us your application to graduate to email@example.com from your UZH account after all modules have been evaluated. You need to provide the following information for registration:
Incoming mobility: last name, first name, matriculation number, study program, address of first university (relevant faculty or dean's office)
Additional studies: last name, first name, matriculation number, study program
Please submit the request no later than 31 January (for graduation in Fall Semester) or 10 August (for graduation in Spring Semester) to the Office of Student Affairs.