The University of Zurich offers the Teaching Diploma for Upper Secondary Education degree program in three options:
- With one teaching subject
- With two teaching subjects (primary and secondary subjects)
- With an additional teaching subject (possible only if the prospective student already holds a teaching diploma for upper secondary education)
The following teaching subjects are available: Biology, Chemistry, Economics and Law (cannot be combined with a secondary subject), Education/Psychology, English, French, Geography, German, Greek, History, Informatics, Italian, Latin, Mathematics, Philosophy, Physics, Religion, Rhaeto-Romanic (as a secondary subject only), Russian and Spanish.
Further information on the Teaching Diploma for Upper Secondary Education degree program and on the individual teaching subjects can be found on the Institute of Education website (in German).
Besides meeting the formal admission requirements, you must also fulfill the relevant academic admission requirements to be admitted to the Teaching Diploma for Upper Secondary Education program. Once you have submitted a complete application dossier, it generally takes up to three months to check that you meet these requirements.
If you are admitted, you can only start your chosen Teaching Diploma for Upper Secondary Education program once you have met the relevant language requirements.
Formal Admission Requirements
- Master’s and, as a rule, also a Bachelor’s diploma from a state-accredited university. The Master’s diploma does not necessarily have to be available at the time of application. If you are admitted, it may be submitted at a later date (by 30 September at the latest for admissions for the Fall Semester, by 15 March at the latest for admissions for the Spring Semester).
- Credits for any transferred coursework must also have been acquired at a state-accredited university.
- Individuals who are currently matriculated at the University of Zurich for a Master’s degree program in a subject area corresponding to their chosen teaching subject(s) may begin their chosen Teaching Diploma for Upper Secondary Education program before they have acquired their Master’s diploma (i.e. studying in two degree programs). However, the Master’s diploma must be gained before the Teaching Diploma will be awarded.
- Individuals who would like to take an additional teaching subject must already hold a teaching diploma for upper secondary education.
Academic Admission Requirements
- The Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees must have been earned in an academic discipline that corresponds to the chosen teaching subject(s).
- If the academic admission requirements are not fully met, restrictions and/or conditions (in the form of Bachelor’s or Master’s modules) may be imposed.
- Conditions must be met in a preparatory phase within the framework of your Teaching Diploma for Upper Secondary Education studies. Students cannot book Teaching Diploma modules during this preparatory phase.
- Anyone who has been definitively expelled or barred from the Teaching Diploma for Upper Secondary Education degree program, or from one or more teaching subjects, at the University of Zurich, is excluded from being admitted to this program or teaching subject.
- Anyone who has been definitively expelled or barred from an upper secondary school teaching degree program, or from one or more teaching subjects, at another higher education institution, is excluded from being admitted to the Teaching Diploma for Upper Secondary Education degree program or to the corresponding teaching subject at the University of Zurich.
The subject-specific admission requirements for the individual teaching subjects can be found on the Institute of Education website (in German).
Foreign-language applicants must prove that they have the necessary German skills of at least level C1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages scale (CEFR).
Evidence of the necessary German skills must be supplied prior to matriculation at the latest, in the form of a language certificate recognized by the University of Zurich. It is advisable to submit the relevant language certificate with the application.
Important Information on Applying
- Before you apply, please find out about the application procedure and documents to be submitted and apply via the application portal. Please be sure to note the application deadlines.
- Please also note that only one application for the Teaching Diploma for Upper Secondary Education degree program will be assessed per person, per semester. We therefore ask you to submit only one application at a time.
- Studying in two degree programs at the University of Zurich: Anyone who is matriculated at the University of Zurich for a Master’s degree program, and who would like to begin the corresponding Teaching Diploma for Secondary Education program in parallel, must also apply for their chosen program (see above point). The additional Teaching Diploma program cannot be applied for via “My Requests” on the student portal.
- Anyone who is matriculated at the University of Zurich for a Master’s degree program, and who wishes to transfer to the corresponding Teaching Diploma program after completing their Master’s studies, must request a change of degree program via “My requests” on the student portal. They must not submit an application. Please be sure to note the relevant deadlines.