Petition for Conferral of a Doctoral Degree
You must be enrolled for the duration of doctoral study. After successfully meeting all conditions stipulated in the ordinance on obtaining a doctoral degree (Promotionsverordnung), you can petition for conferral of a doctoral degree.
Please submit the following documents electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Application form
- Valid student ID
- Proof of credits earned (transcript of records)
- If required, proof that any open conditions have been met
- Doctoral agreement
- Request for the appointment of a second reviewer
- Declaration on publication of the doctoral thesis
- Completed doctoral thesis as a PDF (incl. title page with surname and first name of the doctoral student, title of the doctoral thesis and names of both reviewers)
You must also submit your thesis to your main supervisor.
Approval of Doctoral Thesis
The Faculty Council names the second reviewer on recommendation of the doctoral candidate and the main supervisor; the second reviewer is named from within the ranks of the Faculty. In certain cases, the second reviewer may be from outside the Faculty. In such cases, the Faculty Council must name the grounds for this decision. If there are multiple supervisors, the additional supervisors must be taken into consideration when naming the second reviewer.
The application for the appointment of a second supervisor or reviewer needs to be submitted to the Faculty Council for its approval before the second supervisor resp. reviewer commences writing the expert opinion.
The Faculty Assembly is responsible for approving the doctoral thesis; the decision is made on the basis of the opinions of the main supervisor and the second reviewer.
It is not possible to re-submit a rejected doctoral thesis.
Outstanding doctoral theses are awarded one of the following designations:
- summa cum laude (with highest honors)
- magna cum laude (with high honors)