The database is funded by the University of Zurich; access is free. Search results may be analysed online, it is possible to navigate within them, and they can be saved as PDF report for further processing. Should material from the database be used in publications, we welcome a corresponding source reference.
Accessing the database
A help function is integrated into the database to facilitate its use. Researchers may apply for a personal account which allows for the collection and saving of PDF reports for a duration of twenty-four hour.
- Titles of Chinese works are transcribed in non-concatenated form. Personal and geographical names are concatenated.Transcription in Pinyin.
- Titles listed in the bibliography: Only first editions are taken into account except for revised editions. All bibliographical entries refer to China only, except for Ph.D. dissertations, no other than China-related works by authors listed in the database are included. Only articles of special importance are listed..
- Persons: Biographies of sinologists and translators receive a full treatment. Biographical data of other persons is only included insofar as it pertains to the relationship between China and the West.
- Biographical data of authors and philosophers is only included if it touches upon the relationship between China and the West. Information concerning the reception and influence of authors and philosophers in China or the West respectively is recorded in detail.
- Listings of secondary scholarship are not intended to be exhaustive since it is usually covered by later monographs and dissertations. Comparative studies on writers or philosophers from China and the West are not included.
The PDFs on the website are regularly updated. Individual reports and new authors may be automatically generated in the database.
An instructional file of how to generate individual PDFs from the database will be placed here soon.
Names of Individuals appearing in the database
A (PDF, 976 KB) B (PDF, 2 MB) C (PDF, 3 MB) D (PDF, 3 MB) E (PDF, 556 KB) F (PDF, 1 MB) G (PDF, 2 MB) H (PDF, 3 MB) I/J (PDF, 1 MB) K (PDF, 1 MB) L (PDF, 4 MB) M (PDF, 3 MB) N (PDF, 782 KB) O (PDF, 367 KB) P (PDF, 1 MB) Q (PDF, 621 KB) R (PDF, 1 MB) S (PDF, 3 MB) T (PDF, 1 MB) U/V (PDF, 866 KB) W (PDF, 3 MB) X (PDF, 798 KB) Y (PDF, 1 MB) Z (PDF, 1 MB)
Transcriptions of Place Names
Early Non-pinyin Transcriptions of Place Names compared to Wade-Giles, Hanyu Pinyin
Arts and Chinoiserie (General Art, Architecture, Arts and Crafts, Calligraphy, Ceramics, Cinema, Garden architecture, Graphics, Illustration, Music, Painting, Photography, Sculpture)
Bibliography Theory / Bibliophily / Library science / Publishing
Economy and trade
History (History, Administration, Law, Politics, Communism, Marxism)
Literature : China
Literature in English (America, Australia, Canada, England, Ireland)
Literature in French (France, Belgium)
Literature in German (Austria, Germany, Switzerland)
Literature : Russia
Literature: Eastern Europe
Literature in Eastern european countries: (PDF, 74 KB) Bosnia-Herzegovina / Bulgaria / Czechoslovakia / Hungary / Poland / Romania / Serbia / Ukraine / Yugoslavia (2020)
Literature other countries
Other Western European Literatures (PDF, 113 KB): Antiquity / Greece / Italy / Netherlands / Portugal / Spain (2020)
Philosophy : Names in alphabetical order
Philosophy : China
Philosophical works in English (America, Australia, Canada, England, Ireland)
Philosophical works in French (France, Belgium)
Philosophical works in German (Austria, Germany, Switzerland)
Philosophical works in other european Countries (Antiquity / Czechoslovakia / Denmark / Greece / Hungary / Italy / Netherlands / Poland / Russia / Ukraine)
Sciences (General Science, Archaeology, Astronomy, Astrology, Ethnology, Anthropology, Geography, Geology, Mathematics, Natural science, Geometry, Medicine, Physics, Chemistry, Technology)
Sinology and Asian studies
Sinology and Asian Studies: Names （2019） (PDF, 4 MB)Names in alphabetical order (America, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czechoslovakia, China, Denkmark, England, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Switzerland)
Social Sciences (Education, Healthcare, Library Science, Psychology and Behavior, Schooling, Societies, Sociology, Universities)
Translation : History and Theory
Travelogues and Embassy records
Travelogues and Embassy reports Names (2019)